“Yes. If anything will (censored) . . . men, excuse my bluntness, it will be the computer.”
“I wonder about that myself”
“Men-women, too—aren’t meant to sit still for hours on end. Oh, companies and commerce dress it up by using words like ‘burn’ ‘download,’ ‘firewall,’ making anything to do with computers sound butch, but there’s nothing masculine about clicking away at keys all day, staring into a blue screen. The body turns to mush and the mind alters, as well. You aren’t fighting, you aren’t cutting trees, plowing fields, hoisting up a steel girder. You’re sitting, sitting, sitting. I suppose sneaking onto a porno site offers scant relief, but that’s not real, either. Images. We’re a nation duped by images, and I know that better than anyone. I used to be a twenty-foot image on a movie screen in films shot on seventy millimeter. You know, Boomlioom, it frightens me; what we are becoming frightens me because we run counter to nature, and creatures that violate nature die or cause catastrophe and everyone dies.”
Boomiloom picked up her cup of cider and sat.. on the sofa facing the fire. Alicia had affixed the bow, and she sat down, too, beside BoomBoom. “Funny that we’re having this discussion, because I think of it too. I can do a lot of business on the computer. I can contact accounts, keep accounts, keep up with inventory, but my business sells a real product. I have to go to the quarry, and I am searching for new quarries or relationships with other companies that have a product I don’t like, like marble. What I do is real . . . from page 159 CAT’s Eyewitness, by Rita Mae Brown
http://donredding.smugmug.com/CamerasComputersTVElectronics/Computer-Nerds/20110928-page-159-Cats/19255317_TJtfV7#1502821334_Czj2VZW