Computer Classes at Southminster conducted by the Shepherd's Center

Hi Ownbey Folks

Thanks for listening to me last Sunday talk about the Computer Classes at Southminster conducted by the Shepherd's Center.
We have one person signed up to take the Introduction Computer Class beginning Monday afternoon January 10.  They offered two sessions beginning Monday, but they are canceling the morning one for lack of people. The afternoon one has a waiting list. The next  session begins February 21 and I hope some of you will sign up.

I talked with the administration of Shepherd's Center and they are interested in having Ownbey members take classes, so much so that they will put together a special session for the Introduction Class for us for 9 or 10 people at a time of our choosing. I suggested after tax season in late April. We might get a break on the $50 fee but not sure. Your tuition will be matched by a contribution to Helping Hands. I plan to discuss on class to see if there is interest and feedback. (Based on lack of feedback of interest, I am not pursuing this further,dsr 2/26/2011)
---------------------
Below  is the 12/16/2010 Blog post about Southminster and the Shepherd's Center Computer Classes. I modified it  from the original posting. All this is on the Blog at
http://ownbeyss.blogspot.com/

Click on the page below to get a bigger view: See email at bottom of page
image

______________________
Hi Ownbey folks  Have I got a deal for you. . .12/16/2010


Computer classes for Seniors, no kidding, and they are fun with less than 10 students at a time. Even if  you know you know computers, you will appreciate the classes. If you do not know a kilobyte from a terabyte, you certainly will have fun and learn something.

Carol Douglas recently mentioned to Ownbey taking these classes.  She and Don Hammer took some, and I heard them talking about the classes. Linda and I tried them out.  I loved them - Linda liked them - and we felt it was a bargain at these prices.   

I have taken six of the 10 classes. The first one is the longest - Introduction to Computers, and I never left that class or any of their others  without knowing I learned something new, helpful, and exciting (to me any way).. Originally I took the classes to  watch how the Instructors dealt with the varying skills in the class ("How do I turn it off"   " click the start button!"), but I learned more than I expected. I did learn the instructors are much more patient than I ever had been when trying to help our Ownbey members, and I know I need to apologize for that  lack of sensitivity and try to do better.

The classes are offered by the Shepherd's Center of Charlotte and are conducted at Southminster. Classes  last  a day up to a month (3 times a week) with  three hour sessions each day.  I suggest everyone take the Introduction Class no matter your skill level; it is the longest (month) and costs $50. The other classes are shorter and cost between $10 and $25, a bargain when you consider what CPCC and other places charge. Plus it is directed to Seniors. I was amazed to learn the Instructors are volunteers and some have been doing this 10 or 15 years; I wish I had known about them  earlier. Tuition for Class Members and Friends will be matched by a contribution to Helping Hands, with some limits if I need them.

Above is a copy of the sign up info and class descriptions.  During Football season, I took the Introduction Class, E-Bay, Digital Images, File Management, Open Forum, and Microsoft Excel. Linda took four of them. I plan to take Internet/Email and Social Networking  during the remaining Basketball season.

A nice surprise was they treated us to a meal in their dining room Graduation Day of the Introduction Class; great food, unfortunately, that is the only class we were "treated" that way! Some of you have visited Southminster ; if not it is a good opportunity to take a look at what they have. Looks pretty good to me.


To see a larger copy of the forms, click here or go to
http://www.shepherdscharlotte.org/ComputerClasses.pdf

This Blog is: Click here or go to http://ownbeyss.blogspot.com/