You are kind to ask me about the AV equipment and to ask me to tell you more. Thank you.
I certainly felt outnumbered and blindsided Sunday. There was only one other official member of the Helping Hands Committee present, the proposal was not the same as the one shown me earlier, I knew the Chair of committee was working on Helping Hand recommendations, and I felt we had not considered the effect on other needs. I felt the motion as presented needed changing if it were to be passed. The AV issue was not my main point. Mentioning it probably was not the best example of needs for the general funds. I agree we have no problem getting such equipment.
-------------------------
------------------------
Sunday, my main point was that giving discretion for such decisions to one Officer goes against the Ownbey Way of the class approving money uses, and I do not think we considered the possible effects on other needs of the general fund. If the wording had been "upon the approval of the class," that would have been better.
The class approves expenditures over $100; if under $100, the President and Treasurer may ok (page 28 Ownbey Handbook).
That is the basis of my main point, especially
In good conscious and knowing the background, I needed to express my opinion. I would have done it better had I any indication what was going to be proposed. I felt blindsided. I appreciated some support.
You are correct the Church has AV equipment for our use. (I meant mainly the monitors attached to the wall and dvd/vhs players available - not more expensive computer expenses). It is not high priority for us or me but is a need the church recognizes. Many Sunday School Classes have the AV equipment. The church is adding the equipment to class rooms (Click here) but money had been tight lately. That - helping the church with this expense - was in the back of my mind when I used the example of needs we have at times. Of course I was discouraged from elaborating further or given the chance to answer questions. I was reminded of some time ago when I wanted to discuss the Christian Flags and or US flag in the class room (I was going to pay for both or either), and the then president asked me not to bring it up for discussion as it was too dicey. I was taken aback that a discussion class could not discuss a simple issue. It was said we needed to get to the lesson when he tabled the current motion.
A member said Sunday A/V was a good idea and we should investigate the use and cost. Otherwise, I do not know of the teachers or anyone asking for any AV equipment. I have not been a teacher in this class or asked to teach (except for a small part once) so I cannot speak from experience in this class. Maybe it would be something beneficial for our lessons. Never heard Power Point mentioned, though we could use some computer generated teaching aids. We seldom provide handouts for our lessons or use computer slideshows. We are not the only group that uses the room and such equipment is needed at times for such meetings. Wednesday and Thursday I was by our room and a tv/video player was rolled in for use by a group around a table. I am sure our blinds make it easier to view. .
It probably was not the best one, using the AV equipment as an example of needs for the general account. The AV's were on my mind because of the above needs of the church. If the money were not in our general account because it was moved to the Helping Hands Fund and we want to move it out and back, as someone suggested, that purpose is not stated in the Helping Hands procedures and we would be going against established guidelines or breaking them.
There are other general fund needs which seem trivial perhaps but could include the following, many actual expenditures from the past. These are in random order and could be prioritized from needed to ridiculous.
I hope this helps. I thank you so much for asking and if you want further elaboration. please let me know. Many of the ideas expressed in this email were in my Suggestions in response to a request prior to the original Meeting of the Officers early in the year. I think you have a copy, if not let me know. Also, some of these ideas were in my response to the Survey for Curriculum feedback. This email was delayed because I had a scheduled meeting with the Chair Thursday and I wanted the chance to modify after that meeting.
Again, my main point was and is that giving discretion to one Officer goes against the Ownbey Way of the class approving money uses, and I do not think we considered adequately the effect on other needs of the general fund. If the wording included "as approved by the class," it would have been clearer.
Thanks again for asking, Sorry to be so late in answering and so long in writing but I felt you deserved a full answer.
If you want this forwarded to anyone, please ask me to handle. Thanks
Thanks again
don
I certainly felt outnumbered and blindsided Sunday. There was only one other official member of the Helping Hands Committee present, the proposal was not the same as the one shown me earlier, I knew the Chair of committee was working on Helping Hand recommendations, and I felt we had not considered the effect on other needs. I felt the motion as presented needed changing if it were to be passed. The AV issue was not my main point. Mentioning it probably was not the best example of needs for the general funds. I agree we have no problem getting such equipment.
-------------------------
------------------------
Sunday, my main point was that giving discretion for such decisions to one Officer goes against the Ownbey Way of the class approving money uses, and I do not think we considered the possible effects on other needs of the general fund. If the wording had been "upon the approval of the class," that would have been better.
The class approves expenditures over $100; if under $100, the President and Treasurer may ok (page 28 Ownbey Handbook).
That is the basis of my main point, especially
- at " the discretion of the treasurer" or anyone, for that matter, for such purposes as was proposed on class goes against the Ownbey Way and the intent in our guidelines. The intent of the $100 procedure was for more than one person to be involved in such decisions. Nothing was included in the motion that was moved and seconded Sunday about "if needed" or "if approved" or "as needed," only " the discretion of the treasurer." It was not in writing.
- Point #2, we have general class needs and if funds are low because someone in their discretion decided to move it into Helping Hands with no approval, then the class is not making the decision, and that might be a permanent movement..
- Point #3, as Chairman of Helping Hands presence or his thoughts would be appropriate for actions involving his committee.
- Point #4, The motion presented was not the one presented the night before the officer's meeting and caught me by surprise. The one we saw addressed sharing a portion of Sunday collections with Helping Hands (click here).
- Point #5, the HH Chair is preparing for a meeting of the Helping Hands Committee to review several recommendations for presentation to the class; calling for the approval Sunday seemed premature.
In good conscious and knowing the background, I needed to express my opinion. I would have done it better had I any indication what was going to be proposed. I felt blindsided. I appreciated some support.
You are correct the Church has AV equipment for our use. (I meant mainly the monitors attached to the wall and dvd/vhs players available - not more expensive computer expenses). It is not high priority for us or me but is a need the church recognizes. Many Sunday School Classes have the AV equipment. The church is adding the equipment to class rooms (Click here) but money had been tight lately. That - helping the church with this expense - was in the back of my mind when I used the example of needs we have at times. Of course I was discouraged from elaborating further or given the chance to answer questions. I was reminded of some time ago when I wanted to discuss the Christian Flags and or US flag in the class room (I was going to pay for both or either), and the then president asked me not to bring it up for discussion as it was too dicey. I was taken aback that a discussion class could not discuss a simple issue. It was said we needed to get to the lesson when he tabled the current motion.
A member said Sunday A/V was a good idea and we should investigate the use and cost. Otherwise, I do not know of the teachers or anyone asking for any AV equipment. I have not been a teacher in this class or asked to teach (except for a small part once) so I cannot speak from experience in this class. Maybe it would be something beneficial for our lessons. Never heard Power Point mentioned, though we could use some computer generated teaching aids. We seldom provide handouts for our lessons or use computer slideshows. We are not the only group that uses the room and such equipment is needed at times for such meetings. Wednesday and Thursday I was by our room and a tv/video player was rolled in for use by a group around a table. I am sure our blinds make it easier to view. .
It probably was not the best one, using the AV equipment as an example of needs for the general account. The AV's were on my mind because of the above needs of the church. If the money were not in our general account because it was moved to the Helping Hands Fund and we want to move it out and back, as someone suggested, that purpose is not stated in the Helping Hands procedures and we would be going against established guidelines or breaking them.
There are other general fund needs which seem trivial perhaps but could include the following, many actual expenditures from the past. These are in random order and could be prioritized from needed to ridiculous.
- the new small Hymnals recently published by the Methodist Church as an additional resource to learn new hymns,
- Tuning the piano,
- Brochures about Helping Hands or the class
- Supplies for the room,
- Bulletin Board supplies,
- Extra books for the class,
- Name Tags for visitors
- Name Tag Holder
- Ownbey's 60th Celebration in 2013. We forgot the 55th in 2008
- Books for library
- Bibles
- $20 supposed to be donated in Memory of deceased members
- Printing costs,
- Secretary Minute Book
- Updating and printing the Handbook
- Yearly class booklet of members, etc
- Maps
- Furniture
- Food for Room in the Inn (maybe that is a Helping Hands need as others of these might be)
- Food for Habitat meals we sponsor
- Tuition for children of class members,
- Helping Hands Stationery
- Helping Hands Postage
- Birthday cards for members and our extended family,
- Postage for mailing cards or Ownbey information,
- Stationery and postage for writing visitors
- Speaker fees or contributions
- Matching funds for gifts to help the MPUMC budget or other special needs
- Food for sick members,
- Draperies to make the room darker (and perhaps matching the ones in the library),
- Pictures for the walls,
- Markers for the White Board,
- Memorials for class members, such as bench at UNC Charlotte
- Locks for cabinets for Ownbey material such as Helping Hand Forms and supplies to prevent losing during week.
- Goodies for fellowship before class
- Staff Appreciation gifts (a book is in Lobby of their preferences)(There is a week)
- Recognition Gifts to ministers and teachers
- Teacher recognition dinner
- Other expenses to improve the ambiance of the room,
- Flowers or charitable gifts for sick folks and staff and funerals,
- Flowers for Sanctuary
- Support of Youth activities
- Establishment of an endowment for the class
- Other Projects not considered Helping Hand types
- Meals for ministers/guests to our class functions such as the BBQ and Parties
- Tips for Shebra
- Christmas Parties
- Fourth of July parties
- Table decorations for get togethers and other events
- and other expenses approved by class.
I hope this helps. I thank you so much for asking and if you want further elaboration. please let me know. Many of the ideas expressed in this email were in my Suggestions in response to a request prior to the original Meeting of the Officers early in the year. I think you have a copy, if not let me know. Also, some of these ideas were in my response to the Survey for Curriculum feedback. This email was delayed because I had a scheduled meeting with the Chair Thursday and I wanted the chance to modify after that meeting.
Again, my main point was and is that giving discretion to one Officer goes against the Ownbey Way of the class approving money uses, and I do not think we considered adequately the effect on other needs of the general fund. If the wording included "as approved by the class," it would have been clearer.
Thanks again for asking, Sorry to be so late in answering and so long in writing but I felt you deserved a full answer.
If you want this forwarded to anyone, please ask me to handle. Thanks
Thanks again
don