| Subject: | Flags in Sanctuary in 2003 |
|---|---|
| Date: | Wed, 08 Jun 2011 23:44:18 -0400 |
| From: | don@donredding.com |
Here is the email from February. I know you mentioned the 4th of July, but of equal significance - Flag Day is June 14 in the USA. Last year around that date and the 4th of July I was active in telling class about the USA and Christian flags - many members did not know there was a Christian Flag (or Methodist flag ) or any thing about it. . . . .. Several people were opposed to adding USA and Christian Flags in the room and there was opposition to the Christian Flag alone. I was prepared to buy the flags and already had priced them out but received little encouragement. I can see reasons some could have for not wanting the USA flag (Separation of church and state, represents our country going against the Beatitudes turn the other cheek, etc.) but for the life of me I could not understand opposition to the Christian flag. About that time, I was asked not to bring it up on class as it was too dicey. I was taken aback that a discussion class could not discuss such a simple issue as flags in our classroom. I dropped the subject after that call; I lost my enthusiasm . . . . . You are only the second person to mention it in the year since then. Hope this is what you wanted. If not let me know as I have lots of other stuff - if you remember I printed brochures about the history, respect, etiquette, and use of both flags and distributed them. I shared what others were doing with pictures of flags in other class rooms and parts of the church. I gave everyone that wanted one the tooth pick flags. I even had put two tooth pick flags on the name plate of our Ownbey 110 Classroom, but I noticed recently they are gone. I had flags and pictures of our Class and Bible class with flags. Unfortunately I gave out hats made like the USA flag; I learned later that hats and clothing made of flag design are against the US Flag Code. I asked the class for forgiveness a couple of Sundays later. Here are links that might be of interest, I have others but it is late . . . I have some pictures from other churches and will send when I find the links, although they might be in some of the galleries linked below.
The original email is further down the page.
http://donredding.smugmug.com/Flags
http://donredding.smugmug.com/Sports/Flags-and-National-Anthem
http://donredding.smugmug.com/02-Church-Sunday-School/Flags-at-Church-Near-Asheboro/12872238_NH7de
and if you have not heard Dixie in a long time, here is a beautiful rendition:
http://donredding.smugmug.com/Sports/Flags-and-National-Anthem/Dixie/12674375_8ssES#912611083_PUd97-A-LB
don
6/8/2011
-------------------------------------------------------------------
-------- Original Message --------
| Subject: | Flags in Sanctuary in 2003 |
|---|---|
| Date: | Sat, 05 Feb 2011 16:21:03 -0500 |
| From: | me |
| To: | several |
Hi Folks
Recently I was working on pictures I took before I was using Smugmug and before digital cameras became good equipment, and I found the following pictures of the Sanctuary:
- January 12, 2003 picture with the US Flag
- April 20, 2003 picture with the Christian Flag
- October 19, 2003 Picture with both Flags
- April 8, 2004 No (Christian) Flag
- May 2, 2004 No US Flag
don
---------------------------------------------------
The US Flag:
To see other pictures from 1/12/2003, Click here or at http://donredding.smugmug.com/02-Church-Sunday-School/Ownbey-2003/20030112-Second-class-in-new/15720748_QjpXE#1178313801_LZT9r
-------------------------------------------------------------
The Christian Flag:
To see other pictures from 4/20/2003, Click here or at
http://donredding.smugmug.com/02-Church-Sunday-School/Ownbey-2003/20030420-Church-and-Sunday/15720918_SSfU9#1178327860_BTSoS
---------------------------
And here are both flags on October 19, 2003
=================
And (at least) no (Christian) Flag by April 8, 2004
-------------------------
and no US Flag on May 2, 2004
----------------------------------------------
May 20, 2004: